A.D.A. Amiga Demoscene Archive

  Welcome guest! Please register a new account or log in

  

  

  

log in with SceneID

  

Demos Amiga Demoscene Archive Forum / Coding / p610.6

 

Author Message
dalton
Member
#1 - Posted: 7 Nov 2004 13:06
Reply Quote
This new p61 replayer was released some months ago. Has anyone tried it? I read some bug was fixed but then I heard there was really no difference from the old version (610.4) wich supposedly already had that bug fixed.
rload
Member
#2 - Posted: 7 Nov 2004 21:40
Reply Quote
if its the 4000 bug, then theres no difference.. p61 has had some differences to protracker in the retrigger effect before though.. would be nice if that was fixed..
kUfa
Member
#3 - Posted: 8 Nov 2004 14:12
Reply Quote
i was told it s not fixed :/
bonkers
Member
#4 - Posted: 13 Nov 2004 01:32
Reply Quote
Wasn't the a4k bug fixed ages ago by NoName? I thought the aim of the new replayer was supposed to be more compatible with PT.
TheDarkCoder
Member
#5 - Posted: 1 Dec 2004 09:15
Reply Quote
Hello!!

First of all, since this is my first post, I want to give my best
regards to everyone! I am very happy that this forum was started!
I hope it will be a great opportunity to meet coders and
learn many new techniques.

I was also pleased to find out that there was a thread about one piece
of code of mine!! Indeed I am the author of the P61 610.6 bugfix!

In this version a fixed a bug in the P61_Init routine. The bug was only
exploited (on versions 610.x with x<=5) if one would choose to assemble
the source producing 020+ code, with the option opt020=1.
Since I put my hands on the source code, I took the opportunity to
add more detailed comments on how to use the replay code. I also
clearly commented which are the 4 bugfixes done on the version
610.2 (the last one released by the original author Guru) and who are
the bugfixes authors. I hope this may help unexperienced coders.

I am happy of the opportunity this forum has given to me to explain
what was done, since there was some confusions about what there is in
the 610.6, which I probably caused. In fact, in the beginning I
planned to do an additional modification related to the way interrupt
requests are cleared. So I released a beta version, and thanks to
several kind betatesters I discovered that the interrupt request
modification didn't work on some Amiga model. Therefore, I skipped
such a modification from official and stable 610.6 release.

** Hopefully, version 610.6 works nice on every Amiga!! :-) **

But the story is still going on, since after the 610.6 release I
discovered more things about the interrupt request clearing issue
(thanks again to my betatesters, one in particular, hello Petri!! ;-).
With this new knoledge I produced a private version, which I call
610.6xo, where I successfully improved the speed of clearing of interrupt
requests. Before creating too much surprise, I clarify that I am
speaking of a very small speed improvement, from a practical point
of view is almost nothing. However, from an academic perspective,
the issue is interesting since it gave me the opportunity to discover
new things about Amiga hardware. I am still doing experiments, since
there are a couple of things not clear yet. But when I'll finish,
I would be happy, if someone is interested, to post a small tutorial
about the issue, or even to release the source code of version 610.6xo.

Best regards!
The Dark Coder/Trinity

 

  Please register a new account or log in to comment

  

  

  

 

A.D.A. Amiga Demoscene Archive, Version 3.0